As you probably know, beauty is anything but basic. There’s an element of mystery, even “acting” about it. Here are my top 5 beauty secrets for Women in their 30’s, 40’s and beyond:
1. Tell yourself you’re beautifuland keep telling yourself until you believe it! Humans not only perceive, but are also influenced by, each other’s feelings. If people sense your self-hatred, there’s a good chance they’ll see you the way you subconsciously tell them to see you.
2. Rethink your foundation. Literally nothing ages you as quickly as the wrong foundation. Wearing a shade that is too pale, too pink, too orange, too dark too anything, really can actually exaggerate the scars, blemishes and spots you are trying to hide. Plus, the wrong color can make you look lifeless, while simultaneously accentuating wrinkles and furrows. Head for a cosmetics counter such as Prescriptives, or Becca, which specialize in finding the perfect shade and formula for your skin. This isn’t a splurge, it’s a necessity.
3. Stand up straight! Slouching sends the subconscious message that you are trying to hide. People won’t see you as a great beauty if it appears you’d rather not be noticed. Further, slouching alters your gorgeous body and makes it look misshaped and lumpy. Stand up straight and your clothing will hang better, you’ll look thinner, and people will treat you with more respect. Try it and see! (Your mother will be so happy!)
4. Don’t wear eye makeup near your lower lashes. Mascara on your lower lashes can smudge into the surrounding skin, making the eyes look smaller, creating the appearance of undereye circles or bags, and giving eyes a fatigued look. So can eyeliner worn on your lower lids. Instead, concentrate on loading upper lashes with mascara. If you use liner, concentrate on the upper lid only.
5. Don’t fidget. Beauty is about self-assuredness and poise. Fidgeting makes you appear flighty and nervous. It typically takes 21 days to break a habit. If you’re a wiggler, make a conscious effort to reduce squirming for three weeks and see what happens.
Throughout history there have been beautities who could have been deemed too unusual, too plain, too ugly, too something to be beautiful. Yet these smart ladies have ignored what society says is beautiful. They realize that to stand apart they must celebrate their own unique looks. In other words, make yourself beautiful and you’ll be seen as beautiful.